Memberships of committees and professional bodies
I started work in this University in 2000 at the Centre for Census and Survey Research (CCSR). In 2003, I went to Birmingham University but came back again in 2007 to join the Institute for Social Change (ISC). With the merger of CCSR and ISC into the Cathie Marsh Institute of Social Research (CMI) in August 2014, I have been working in both Department of Sociology and CMI.
I worked at Fudan University in China before coming to study at Oxford University on a Swires Scholarship (funded by John Swires and Sons) for which I am eternally grateful. I did an MPhil at St Antony's College, and a DPhil at Nuffield College, both in Sociology. My research focuses on social mobility and social stratification, with particular regard to class, education, labour market position, social capital and ethnic integration in Britain and China. I welcome PhD students in these areas. I have conducted many projects funded by research councils in Britain and other countries. My publications have appeared as journal articles, book chapters and official reports.
I am on the Editorial Boards of Social Inclusion, Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, and Chinese Sociological Review and I serve on the ESRC Peer Review College. I was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA) in 2016.
I supervise PhD theses on social mobility, social capital, employment, education, ethnicity and related areas in Britain and China.
Current PhD Students:
- Javier Castillo, 'Ethinity, skin colour and social stratification in Latin America', funded by Chillian Government, main supervisor, with Anthony Heath as co-supervisor. Professor Anthony Heath was succeeded by Dr Nick Shryane in Sept 2019 as co-supervisor.
- Aaron Hsu. 'The Social Integration of Migrant Peasant Workers in Mainland China', funded by Ministry of Education, Taiwan. Main supervisor, with Anthony Heath and Nan Zhang as co-supervisors. Professor Anthony Heath was succeeded by Professor Tarani Chandola in Sept 2019 as co-supervisor.
- Sijia Du, 'Social capital and labour market position in China', main supervisor, with Nan Zhang as co-supervisor, funded by University of Manchester.
- Lin Ding, 2020-2023, ‘Gender and Class Differences in Creative Development —A Study of Social Reproduction of Creativity in England’, main supervisor, with Andy Miles as co-supervisor, self-funding.
- Xiyuan Liu, 2020-2023, ‘Education Subsidy, Urban-rural Division, and Migrant Students in China’, main supervisor, with Andy Miles as co-supervisor, funded by the China Scholarship Council and the University of Manchester.
- Zhuofei Lu, 2021-2024, 'Flexible work arrangements and mental health in the UK', co-supervisor with Professor Wendy Olsen, self-funded.
I teach a PGT course in Sociology on Social Capital and Social Change, and a undergraduate course in Sociology on Social Change in China.
Former PhD students:
- Yunghan Chang, 'Family Transformation and Women's Labour Market Participation in Taiwan', self funded. Main supervisor with Angela Dale as co-supervisor (2010).
- Jianxun Kong, 'Social capital and social distance in China', funded by the Ford Foundation. Main supervisor with Fiona Devine as co-supervisor (2011).
- Meng Chen, 'Social mobility in China', funded by Manchester University, Main supervisor, with Laural Morales as co-supervisor (2012).
- Kyung-A Kim, 'Family origin, educational attainment and class destination of men and women in Korea', self funded. Main supervisor with David Cutts and Anna Zimdars as co-supervisors (2013).
- Steffanie Dobler, 'Religion and Civic Values in Europe. A Multilevel Analysis of 48 countries', funded by the North American Foundation for the University of Manchester (NAFUM). Co-supervisor, with Ed Fieldhous as main supervisor (2013).
- Mary Mollie Bourne, 'Class, culture and ethnicity: educational attainment in England', funded by the ESRC, Main supervisor, with Ian Plewis as co-supervisor. (2015)
- Yinxuan Huang, 'Rebuilding the egalitarian society: development and lessons in the third sector in China', funded by ORS/School. Main supervisor, with Anthony Heath as co-supervisor. (2016)
- Min Zhang. 'Ethnic social mobility in Britain', ISC studentship. Main supervisor with Anthony Heath as co-supervisor. (2018)
- Alejandro Seville. 'Class and educational transition in Chile'. Chilean Government Scholarship. Main supervisor, with Anthony Heath and Tarani Chandola as co-supervisors. (2018)
- Yizhang Zhao. 'Happiness in China'. The Samuel Chan scholarship (1+3). Main supervisor, with Anthony Heath and Nick Shryane as co-supervisors. (2018)
Visiting PhD students:
- Yufei Hao, from Xi'an Jiaotong University, China. Main supervisor (2012-2013), supervisor.
- Ana Safranoff, from Pompeu Fabra University of Spain (2013), supervisor.
- Zhuqing Duan, from Xi'an Jiaotong University, China (Sept 2019 - August 2020)
- Professor Shun Zhang, from Xi'an Jiaotong University, China. Mentor (2012-2013), mentor.
- Professor Fang Li, from Zhejiang University of Science and Technolodgy, China (2014-2015), mentor.
- Professor Yali Xue, from Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, China (2017-2018), mentor.
- Professor Mei Tong, from Xi'an Jiaotong University, (2019-2020).