Data Skills Training
I am the Director of User Support and Training for the UK Data Service. I lead the UK Data Service programme of training events, web-based training resources and online help for researchers and teachers using the quantitative and qualitative data hosted by the UK Data Service.
I am Co-investigator on the EmpoderaData project which aims to increase data literacy skills in Latin America. I am Principle Investigator for CESSDA Training which provides data skills training for social science reseachers across Europe.
I am also a Dissertation Module lecturer on the MSc Social Research Methods and Statistics within the department of Social Statistics and, for several years, I led the Data, Skills and Training Research Group within the Cathie Marsh Institute. In previous years, I have also held the following teaching roles:
- Lecturer: Unequal Societies, a first year undergraduate module on using data to explore health inequalities
- Dissertation Supervisor: MSc Social Research Methods and Statistics
My two research interests are (1) health inequalities, and (2) data literacy skills. I have held research roles within academia, central government and the voluntary sector. Throughout my research career I have specialised in in the field of health-inequalities. I have experience of quantitative and qualitative research and primary data collection and secondary analysis of data. Before joining the Cathie Marsh Institute I worked at the Office for National Statistics (ONS) as a survey researcher on large-scale national surveys such as the Children's Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use Survey and the Family Resources Survey.
- PhD examiner (internal and examiner)
- Editorial Board Member: Research Data Journal
- Advisory Board Member: National Centre for Research Methods
- Advisory Board Member: Methods@Manchester
- Task & Finish Group Member: Administrative Data Research UK Training
- Peer review activities for variety of journals
Membership of Professional Associations:
- European Survey Research Association
- Social Research Association
- British Sociological Association
- International Association for Social Science Information Service & Technology
- Society for Social Medicine & Population Health
- Royal Statistical Society
- International Statistical Institute
- Institute for the Association of Statistical Education
Specific research interests:
Keywords: Survey Research; Health and lifestyle, Ethnicity, Obesity, Diet, Physical Activity.