Director, Lydia Becker Institute of Immunology and Inflammation
Professor of Inflammatory Disease
2nd floor, Core Technology Facility
University of Manchester
Professor Tracy Hussell Tracy Hussell completed her PhD at University College London where she identified Helicobacter pylori as an aetiological agent in human gut lymphomas. After her PhD Professor Hussell moved to Respiratory Medicine at St Mary's Hospital to study immunity and pathology to respiratory syncytial virus. In 1998 she accepted a lectureship in the Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection (CMMI) at Imperial College led by Professors Gordon Dougan and Douglas Young. She was subsequently awarded a career development fellowship by the Medical Research Council. Professor Hussell was awarded a Personal Chair in inflammatory disease at Imperial College London in 2006 and has developed a vibrant research group studying immune health and its deregulation in the lung. Professor Hussell is currently the Director of the Manchester Collaborative Centre for Inflammation Research (MCCIR) at the University of Manchester.
• 2002: Certificate of advanced studies in learning and teaching. Imperial College London,
• 1990 -1994: PhD (July 1994): Immunology., Faculty of Clinical Sciences, UCL Medical School
• 1985 – 1989: B.Sc.(Hons.), Applied Biology, (2:1)., Nottingham University.
• 1983 – 1985: OND in Science., Worcester Technical College, Worcester. Mathematics (distinction), Physics (merit), Biology (distinction), Chemistry (merit), Microbiology (merit).
Memberships of committees and professional bodies
1. MRC NC3Rs panel member for project grants and studentships.
2. Chair – Research Council of Norway
3. Trustee and education secretary of the British society For Immunology since February 2007.
4. Scientific Advisory Board Member for Topigen plc Canada.
5. Strategy Committee, Kennedy Institute 2004-2008.
6. Strategy Committee for the Centre for Respiratory Infection since 2009.
7. Arthritis Research Campaign Research sub-committee April 2005 -2008.
8. Editor of Viral Immunology since October 1999.
9. Editor of Microbes and Infection since 2001.
10. Editor of Immunology since 1999.
11. Associate Editor of Mucosal Immunology since January 2007.
12. External examiner for King’s MSC in Immunology and Infection since July 2009.
13 Central Biological Services Chair since 2008.
14. Member of Asthma UK’s research committee September 2007 – August 2011.
15. Member of the British Society of Immunology since 1989.
16. Member of the Society for Mucosal Immunology since 1996.
17. Committee member of the Antibody Club since 1995
18. Meetings committee member of the British Society for Immunology since December 1999.
19. American association of immunologists since April 2001
20. Member of the Medical Research Club since 2005.
21. Member of the Expert Review Group 4 Wellcome Trust