Tim is a physical geographer with expertise in environmental hydrology, palaeolimnology, aquatic and peatland environments. He has published widely on pollution studies, water quality change, environmental restoration and the dynamics of peatland ecosystems. Tim has been PI on major grants from bodies including NERC, DEFRA and the Environment Agency, and has produced over 80 reports for non-academic organisations. He currently teaches courses on 'Hydrology and Catchment Systems' and 'Environmental Restoration.'
- 2014-2017 Head of School of Environment, Education and Development, University of Manchester
- 2013- Professor of Physical Geography, University of Manchester
- 2009-2014 Director of Research, Geography, University of Manchester
- 2004-2006 Head of Geography, School of Environment and Development, University of Manchester
- 2001-2003 Director of Research, School of Geography, University of Manchester
- 2000-2013 Reader in Physical Geography, University of Manchester
- 1992-1999 Lecturer in Environmental Change and Deputy Director, Environmental Change Research Centre, University College London