I am the Director of the Centre for Academic and Researcher Development, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University Lead for Equality Diversity and Inclusion (Gender and Sexual Orientation Equality) and Senior Lecturer in the Division of Medical Education.
My work within and outside the University aligns with my vision and commitment to create an inclusive work and study environment at Manchester and across the UK HE sector such that diverse people feel they belong, have equity of opportunity to thrive and achieve their full potential.
- As Founder and Director of the Centre for Academic and Researcher Development I ensure that the Faculty offers a continuum of professional development for early career postgraduate researchers through to senior academic leaders. The centre delivers high quality programmes, mentoring and coaching, supporting research excellence, inspirational teaching and learning, enhanced leadership capability and career reward and advancement.
- I play a leading role in addressing researcher inequalities and the development of an inclusive research culture challenging and reducing systemic biases. I am institutional project lead on a Wellcome/University of Manchester match funded Inclusive Research Transformation Programme. I also influence and shape researcher development and research culture nationally and internationally working with leading institutions, funders and network groups.
- As gender equality lead I chair the University Athena Swan self-assessment team providing governance, monitoring and evaluation of impact of policies and initiatives to drive gender parity throughout the student and staff career pipeline and address barriers to access, progression and attainment.
- I promote accelerated intersectional progress through alignment of concordat, charter marks and standards action plans and I have led an “Inclusive Manchester” Campaign promoting inclusive leadership and collective action for all staff and students. This includes development and leadership of an interdisciplinary undergraduate credit bearing unit “Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Your role in shaping a fairer world” open to all students at Manchester.
I gained my undergraduate Honours degree in Biochemistry in 1992 from the University of Leeds followed by a Masters degree in Information Technolgy in 1993 from the University of Nottingham. I then embarked on a research career in the field of oncology beginning as a Research Assistant for CRUK, Christie Hospital, Manchester and then in private R&D at Pfizer Central Research, UK (1993-1997).
I returned to academia in 1997 and embarked on a BBSRC/AstraZeneca sponsored PhD studentship and was awarded my doctorate in Cancer Gene Therapy in 2000 from the University of Manchester. I amassed 7 years postdoctoral cancer research experience as a Research Fellow in the School of Pharmacy, University of Manchester leading on novel adenovirus delivered gene therapy treatments for solid cancers.
In 2007 I transitioned into my current area of academic expertise and was appointed as an academic and researcher development educator. This role quickly grew into a centre and under my leadership CARD now deliver 5 large scale educator and researcher develoment programmes (Academic Clinical Fellows, PGR, Research Staff, NAP and Pedagogy Development Programmes) providing high quality, accredited professional developmnet for our clinical and non clinical community.
CARD also have a large portfolio of consultancy with leading international organisations, funders and institutions.
In 2019 I was appointed as University of Manchester Academic Lead for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion leading on gender equality and in 2021 my remit expanded to include sexual orientation equality. I am the Aurora institional national womens leadership programme champion and in 2021 I was appointed as one of only 21 national panel chairs for the transformed Athena Swan Charter.
Memberships of committees and professional bodies
Membership of External Committees and Professional Bodies
- Network of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Academic Leads invited member (NEDIAL), national network involved in designing, implementing and sustaining EDI interventions across higher education institutions
- Association of Commonwealth Universities Gender Equality Committee
- Aurora institutional champion and national role model facilitating action learning and providing mentorship to female academic and professional services colleagues across the UK
- GM4Women coalition member, a network of change makers committed to actions to create a better future for women and girls across all sectors in Greater Manchester.
- Researchers14 Invited Member (national researcher development group representing 65% of UK research staff) advising UKRI and UUK on research culture and research staff concordat implementation.
- N8 Research Partnership University Representative on Postdoctoral Careers Working Group
- Vitae Researcher Development Member and Advisor for “What do Research Staff Do Next?” an international investigation into the career destinations of Research Staff.
- Corporate Member of the Association for Coaching
- Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Staff Development Forum (Supported by the Leadership Foundation)
Chairing of University and Faculty Committees/Strategy Groups
- University Gender Equality Committee/Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team (Chair since 2019)
- Faculty Race Discrimination Task and Finish Group (Co Chair since 2020)
- Faculty Research Staff Representatives Network (Chair since 2012)
- Faculty NAP Committee (Chair since 2016)
- School of Medical Sciences EDI committee (formerly Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team (Co Chair since 2020)
Active Membership of University Committees/Strategy Groups
- University EDI Governance Group (Lead for Gender Equality since 2019)
- University Social Responsibility Governance Group (since 2019)
- University Race Equality Charter Self-Assessment Team (2021)
- University Gender Pay Gap Working Group (since 2019)
- University Staff Survey Working Group (Research Staff Lead since 2017)
- University Research Staff Strategy Group (Faculty Lead since 2008)
- University New Academics Programme Committee (Faculty Lead since 2014)
- Faculty Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (Professional Development Lead since 2012)
- Faculty Researcher Development Group (Research Staff and New Academic Lead since 2016)
- MRC and BBSRC Doctoral Training Management Committee, Equality Champion (since 2019)
- NIHR ARC-GM Stakeholder Advisory Group (2021)