Paul Lorigan leads a research based clinical medicine, specialising in developing new treatments for malignant melanoma.
Melanoma Research has been prioritised by MCRC as one of the six tumour types for development with the aim of making these internationally competitive. Paul Lorigan (PL) is progressing this:
- PL will be pivotal to delivering the clinical/translational component of Wellcome Senior Investigator Award (Professor Richard Marais).
- PL is significantly increasing number of clinical samples for translational and basic research.
- The grant from EME for a clinical trial of Adoptive Cell Therapy in Manchester relied on PL providing the melanoma expertise for the project and establishing a referral pathway from other centres in the UK. Manchester is the only centre in the UK able to provide the research based treatment, and one of three in Europe.
- As a key contributor to international studies that have revolutionised how to treat melanoma patients.
- Securing grants (among others):
- CI two immunotherapy grants (€6 million and £4 million - PI Professor Robert Hawkins 2012)
- PI CTAAC funded national study
- £213,000 grants other funding sources 2011-12.
Paul Lorigan is a Professor of Medical Oncology at the University of Manchester and Honorary Consultant Medical Oncologist at the Christie NHS Foundation Trust. He leads a research based clinical practice, specialising in developing new treatments for malignant melanoma. He is currently the Chair Elect of the EORTC Melanoma Group and was previously Chair of Melanoma Focus, the UK Melanoma Charity.
Memberships of committees and professional bodies
Rare Cancers Research Group
International Collaborative Group
European Society of Medical Oncology
Society for Melanoma Research
EORTC Melanoma Group
EORTC Melanoma Group Advanced Disease Subgroup
EORTC Lung Group
American Society for Clinical Oncology
European Journal of Cancer Editorial Board
International Association for Study of Lung Cancer
Christie Hospital Melanoma Disease Orientated Group: Chair 2002 – present
Melanoma Task Force: (Parliamentary Group)
Royal College of Physicians Appointment Committee
Melanoma Focus (Charity): Chair Elect
Melanoma Research Fund (Charity) Trustee
Challenge for Life (Charity) Trustee