Pon Souvannaseng is a Post-Doctoral Research Associate at the Centre for Crisis Studies & Mitigation at the University of Manchester. She has previously conducted research on the UKRI-supported FutureDAMS research consortia. Her research interests include:
- Development finance and aid
- The political economy of global infrastructure expansion
- Resource and energy politics
- Comparative and International Political Economy
- Development history and policy in Asia and Africa
- Environmental politics and governance.
She has conducted extensive research on Mekong Southeast Asia and works on infrastructure and environmental governance issues in West and East Africa and East/Southeast Asia.
She has previously served as a Fellow in Political Economy and International Development at University College London (UCL) and as a Research Analyst at the United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD). She has been a Fulbright Research Scholar in Southeast Asia and a CODESRIA-CLACSO-APISA South-South Young Laureate Award holder. She is currently a 2020 Mansfield-Luce Asia Policy Scholar and East West Center DC - Japan Foundation Fellow. She holds degrees from the London School of Economics and Tufts University.