I am a Reader in Musculoskeletal Epidemiology in the Arthritis Research UK Centre for Epidemiology, Centre for Musculoskeletal Research, School of Biological Sciences.
I am an Epidemiologist with a main research interest in the longterm outcomes such as worker productivity loss, functional disability and co-morbidities and its predictors in patients with adult and juvenile onset inflammatory arthritis.
I am the Director of Social Responsibility in the School of Biological Sciences.
I completed my Masters degree in Human Movement Sciences, main topic Health Sciences, Free University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I was awarded my PhD by the University of Utrecht, the Netherlands, and worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Utrecht Medical Center investigating clinical and economic outcomes in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
I joined the Centre for Epidemiology Versus Arthritis in 2007. I am the principal investigator of an international study investigating at-work productivity loss (i.e. presenteeism) and absenteeism in patients with inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis. I am further a Co-Investigator of the Arthritis Research UK/MRC Centre for Musculoskeletal Health and Work. I am also the principal investigator of the national Rheumatoid Arthritis Medication Study (RAMS) investigating response, adherence and adverse events to methotrexate therapy in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Memberships of committees and professional bodies
- Member World Health Organisation (WHO) Package of Interventions for Rehabilitation: Development group for Rheumatoid Arthritis (May 2020 - 2021)
- Convener European Alliance of Associations for Rheumatology (EULAR) Task Force on Work
- Chair Outcome Measures in Rheumatology (OMERACT) Worker Productivity group
- Convener EULAR Task Force 'EULAR Points to consider for lifestyle behaviour to prevent progression of Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases'.
- Lead EULAR study group Public Health in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Disorders.
- Member EULAR points to consider when designing, analyzing and reporting studies with work as outcome among patients with inflammatory arthritis.
- Member Dutch Society for Epidemiology