I am an experienced research supervisor and have supervised eighteen PhDs to completion, all but two of them as main supervisor. I am keen to supervise research in modern political thought and intellectual history (British and continental European) and the history of universities, and also in many aspects of French history since 1789, especially political culture and the development of political traditions. Please contact me to discuss your research ideas and funding possibilities.
Current PhD students:
- Batir Khasanov, 'The Concept of "Emptiness" and the Politics of Identity among the Turko-Mongolian Peoples in the Russian Empire, 1830s-1917' (co-supervisor) (President's Doctoral Scholar)
- Anna Lanfranchi, 'Contacts and Relationships between Italian and British Publishing Houses at the Beginning of the 20th Century', co-supervised with Francesca Billiani. AHRC-funded through the NWCDTP
- Juliano Fiori, 'In the Name of Humanity: A History of the Humanitarian Present', School of Arts, Languages and Cultures PhD Studentship. With Prof Bertrand Taithe.
- Adam Waddingham, 'The Development of Euro-Scepticism within Conservative Political Thought, c. 1945-2016'. School of Arts, Languages and Cultures Studentship. With Dr Emily Jones
- Léjon Saarloos, Leiden University, 'Scholarly temptations: desire and temptation in British science and scholarship, 1870-1930'. Co-supervised with Herman Paul