Profile: I joined the University of Manchester in 2007, after spending two years at the Centre of International Studies, University of Cambridge, where I was a Mellon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow. My original academic background is in Chinese Studies, having studied Chinese language and history at the University of Leeds. I then completed my Ph.D. in Political Science and International Relations at the Australian National University in 2005.
Career highlights: Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Copenhagen, 2012-13; Visiting Associate Professor, Copenhagen Business School, 2010; British Academy Exchange Fellow, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, 2009; External Associate, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation, University of Warwick, 2009; Postdoctoral Fellow, John Sloan Dickey Centre for International Understanding, Dartmouth University, USA, 2007 (declined); Member of Royal United Services Institute delegation to Taiwan, 2007; Lecturer, Department of Political Studies University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2005; Visiting fellow, Peking University, China 2002, 2007; Visiting research associate, Tokyo University, Japan, 2002-3.
Languages: Japanese (native), Mandarin Chinese (fluent), French (intermediate)
Media: I have provided media commentary on Chinese foreign politics, Sino-Japanese relations and Japanese politics to The Guardian, Berlingske (Denmark), Weekendavisen, DR (Danish Broadcasting Corporation), Bloomberg, and The Diplomat.
Knowledge Transfer: I am interested in how my research expertise can be used for more practical ways to benefit society generally. To date, my activities to this end have focused on presentations to the policy community and teaching in continuing education.
- Presentation at the Royal College of Defence Studies
- Presentation at the Royal Naval College of Denmark
- Presentation at the Ministry of Defence, Denmark
- Presentation on Sino-Japanese relations at the Wilton Park conference on 'Japan: Increasing its Global Future Role?'. Conference organised in association with the Japan Foundation, The GB-Sasakawa Foundation and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), 1-4 November 2010.
- Presentation on Chinese approaches to peacekeeping at FCO/Chevening Course, 3 February 2010.
- Guest lectures on Asia-Pacific security on military courses provided by the Institute of Continuing Education, University of Cambridge (various years)
- Organised and taught course on Asia-Pacific Security for Institute of Continuing Education, University of Cambridge, 2-4 April, 2007.
- Presentation on MOD Course 'Politics and Security in the Post Communist World’ Course,, 22 May 2012
- Presentation at the Royal Danish Naval Academy, Copenhagen, Denmark, 22 November 2012
- Presentation on MOD Course, 'Postconflict Reconstruction and Stabilisation', 22 February 2013