Pon Souvannaseng joined the University of Manchester and FutureDams programme in 2018 as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate. Her research interests include:
- Development finance and aid
- The political economy of global infrastructure expansion
- Resource and energy politics
- Comparative and International Political Economy
- Development history and policy in Asia and Africa
- Environmental politics and governance.
She has conducted extensive research on Mekong Southeast Asia and works on infrastructure and environmental governance issues in West and East Africa and Southeast Asia for the FutureDAMS programme.
She has previously served as a Fellow in Political Economy and International Development at University College London (UCL) and as a Research Analyst at the United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD). She has been a Fulbright Research Scholar in Southeast Asia and a CODESRIA-CLACSO-APISA South-South Young Laureate Award holder. She holds degrees from the LSE and Tufts University in Political Science.