Mike Bowe is Professor of International Finance and a former Head of the Division of Accounting and Finance and member of the Senior Executive Committee at Alliance Manchester Business School. Mike joined the faculty at Manchester in 1993, and has previously served as Head of both the Finance and Business Economics subject area groups at the University. A graduate of Oxford University, prior to his appointment at Manchester, Mike was a faculty member of the Economics department at Simon Fraser University in Canada and a Research Associate at Columbia University in the USA.
Mike is the Founding Director of the Centre for the Analysis of Investment Risk (CAIR). CAIR was launched in 2005 with funding provided by a consortium of major international banking and financial services institutions. It is the main Research Centre for the Division of Accounting and Finance.
Mike has extensive international teaching and research experience, including the following contracted visiting appointments:
- 2012 - 2018: Dean's International Advisory Board and Professor of Finance, University of Vaasa, Finland
- 1993 - 2017: Bank of Valletta Professor of International Banking and Finance, University of Malta
- 2003: Professor of Economics, Kyiv-Mohyla Institute, National University of the Ukraine
- 1999: Professor of Finance, Goizueta Business School, Emory University, USA
- 1988 - 2000: Professor of International Finance, Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration, now Aalto University, Finland
- 1996: Professor of International Finance, University of Vienna, Austria
- 1992 - 1993: Fellow, National University of Singapore
- 1983 - 1985: Research Associate, Columbia University, USA
Mike's knowledge transfer contributions and academic consulting experience lie in the area of international finance and derivatives markets. He has participated in projects with the World Bank, Canadian International Development Agency, Government of British Columbia, Union Bank of Finland Ltd., Den Danske Bank, Kansallis-Osake-Pankki, Bank of Valletta and the Malta Stock Exchange, among others. He is a member of the following professional societies: Royal Economic Society, American Finance Association, American Economics Association, Eastern Finance Association and the Financial Management Association. In 1997 he became a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers (Institute of Financial Services, ifs).