Please email me if you're interested in postgraduate study, or have an idea or a proposal you'd like to discuss.
Postgraduate Research Students - In Progress:
- Michael Potter: '"The Joke's On Who?": Comedy and the Construction of English Identities, 1945-70'. President's Doctoral Scholarship. With Prof. Frank Mort.
- Courtney Stickland: 'Gender, Citizenship and Child Detectives, c.1900-1960'. With Dr Eloise Moss.
- Simon Browne: 'The Heroic Reputations of Major General David Lloyd-Owen and Major General Orde Wingate'. AHRC CDP Award with Imperial War Museum. With Dr Aaron Moore and Tony Richards (IWM).
PhD Students – Completed:
- 2016: Ian Field: 'The Moors Murders: The Media, Cultural Representations of Ian Brady, Myra Hindley , and the English Landscape, 1965-1967'. With Prof. Frank Mort.
- 2015: Ed Owens: 'The Media and the Transformation of the British Monarchy, 1932-53'. AHRC-funded. With Prof. Frank Mort.
- 2014: Kellie Vernon: 'Masculinity & Religion in the Life and Posthumous Reputation of Antarctic Explorer H. R. Bowers, 1902-39'. [M.Phil.]
- 2012: Spiros Tsoutsoumpis. ‘Motivation, Masculinity and Everyday Life among SOE Operatives and Greek Resisters, 1941-45’. With Prof. Penny Summerfield.
- 2011: Ben Anderson. 'The Moral High Ground: Cities, Citizens and Landscape in England and Germany, 1890-1914'. AHRC-funded. With Dr Leif Jerram.
- 2011: Steven Cunniffe, 'Religion and Empire in Manchester, 1876-1899, with Particular Reference to the Catholic Church'.
- 2011: Caroline Yorston, 'The Death of Marilyn Monroe and the English Media, 1956-62'. With Dr Julie-Marie Strange.
- 2010: Ian Boutle, 'Masculinity, National Identity and Modernity: English Land Speed Record Holders, 1907-31'. AHRC-funded. With Prof. Frank Mort.
- 2007: Charlotte Wildman, 'The Spectacle of Inter-war Manchester and Liverpool: Urban Fantasies, Consumer Cultures, and Gendered Identities'. AHRC-funded. With Prof. Bertrand Taithe.
- 2003-04: Naoko Kuwata, 'Making Girls Modern: The Introduction of Uniforms for Japanese School Girls, 1914-1939'. Manchester PhD, 2004.
- 2000-02 Jessica Meyer, 'The First World War and Narratives of Heroic and Domestic Masculinity in Britain, 1915-1937'. Cambridge PhD, 2005.
- 2000-02 Daniel Coetzee, 'Factors Accounting for Variations in Voluntary Enlistment in Scotland, Aug. 1914 - Dec. 1915'. Cambridge PhD, 2004.