I am interested to supervise postgraduate research students on the following topics:
- The geography of technology, especially, but not exclusively, in terms of contemporary digital technologies and cyberspace (what I have termed cybergeography), telecommunications networks and internet analysis
- Spatial implications of software in society, drawing up ideas from code/space and software studies
- New ways of mapping space: critical cartography, social and cultural reading of geographic visualisation, scientific representation, participatory mapping, information visualisation, politics of satellite imagery and GPS technologies
- Analysing the implications of urban infrastructures and large techno-social networks (such as utilities, transportation, surveillance, logistics)
- Charting the historical development of cartographic imagery and engineering plans for cities and infrastructures (such as networks of water, power, etc) and the role of technical archives
Please feel free to email with queries about PhD possibilities on these topic and related themes to my ongoing research and publications.