Mitchell Centre for Social Network Analysis School of Social Sciences Doctoral award in Social Network Methodology
The award will be based in the world renowned Mitchell Centre, an interdisciplinary group of social network analysts based in the School of Social Sciences. The project is funded by Leverhulme (RPG-2013-140) and the successful student will work alongside a project entitled: “Collecting and analyzing secondary covert social network data”
Hence the studentship will focus one or more of the following areas:
- Investigate alternative and novel projection methods for valued data.
- Consider issues with respect to normalization of projected networks.
- Develop new methods (either mathematical or statistical or both) for the direct analysis of multi mode data in particular valued and directed data.
- Extend and evaluate the dual approach to multimode networks.
- Examine the relationship between the various approaches available for multi-mode networks.
Studentship details - The studentship comprise an annual stipend of £13,700, payment of fees up to the level charged for UK/EU students (currently £3,900; overseas students would need to pay the balance in fees themselves) and £750 for research training. The studentship will be for direct entry onto the three year PhD programme. The programme will commence in October 2013. Continuation of the award is subject to satisfactory performance.
Entry Requirements - Applicants must have (or expect to gain) a UK Masters level degree (or overseas equivalent) at Merit level (overall taught course average of 60% and a dissertation mark of 60% or more) in a mathematically or statistically orientated subject.
How to apply - Applicants should email email@example.com a full cv together with a covering letter. The successful candidate will be required to submit a full University of Manchester on-line application, plus supporting documents (two academic references and degree transcripts) to fulfill the normal admissions process.
Further information - For further information or to discuss your proposal, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 30th Aug 2013.