Duncan's research interests include:
- European science dynamics.
- Innovation, climate change resilience and sustainability in regulated water utility sectors.
- Global water and sanitation planning and policies.
His work for UK Water Industry Research (UKWIR) on barriers to innovation in the UK water sector in 2006 received significant attention and has led to Duncan's involvement in a range of high-level water-related initiatives around the UK - including appearing before the All Party Parliamentary Water Group in the House of Commons, and being appointed to Ofwat's Future Regulation Advisory Panel in 2012 (see also his water blog, waterstink.com).
Some of Duncan's recent funded research projects include:
- EURECIA (EU FP7 IDEAS programme/ERC) - Understanding and Understanding and Assessing the Impact and Outcomes of the ERC and its Funding Schemes - 2009-12 [eurecia-erc.net].
- UNI-Tekes (Tekes) - Universities, Funding systems, and the Renewal of the Industrial Knowledge Base - 2012-14.
- JOREP (EU FP7) - Investments on Joint and Open R&D Programs and analysis of their economic impact - 2010-12.
- EPSRC (Ideas Factory) CREW (Community Resilience to Extreme Weather) - 2008-11 [extreme-weather-impacts.net].