Having had a successful career in secondary education (for 13 years) in a wide range of schools, prior to entering Higher Education I was a Gatsby Fellow, head of department and a member of senior management with responsibility for whole school issues including monitoring, assessment and recording. Since moving into Higher Education in 2000 my work has involved policy, practice and publications in a variety of areas including Teaching and Learning, Teacher Education, Technology Education and Creative and Design Education. Currently I am a member of three editorial boards and in 2013 I received an 'Outstanding Contribution award' from the D&TA for my work related to Teacher Education.
Currently in my role of Professor of Education I am Director of Teaching and Learning in the School of Enivronment, Education and Development in addition to being the Senior Collaborative Adviser for the Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences. I also hold a strategic role for Teacher Development and maintain an executive responsibility for the University of Manchester Teach First provision.
Current and Recent Committee Chairing and Membership
- Chair SEED Programme Advisory Group.
- Chair SEED Fitness to Study Panel.
- Chair SEED Sabbaticals Committee (T&L).
- Chair SEED Student Recruitment and Advisory Group.
- Chair SEED Teaching and Learning Committee.
- TELLAL (Dubai) Advisory Board member.
- Chair of TELLAL (Dubai) Knowledge Exchange Board.
- Chair of North West 4 ITE group on behalf of DfE.
- Member of Faculty Teaching and Learning and Programme Approval Group.
- Member of Ofsted panel for ITE framework.
- Member of DfE National ITT advisory group.
- Member DfE NW school improvement strategy board.
- Trustee True Learning Partnership Multi-Academy Trust.
- Chair of True Learning Partnership Multi-Academy Trust Curriculum Sub Group.
- Chair of University of Manchester English Qualifications Group.
- Member of the University of Manchester Teaching and Learning Group.
- Member of the Faculty of Humanities Teaching, Learning and Student Experience Leadership Team
- Member of the Faculty of Humanities Teaching, Learning Committee.
- Chair SEED Malpractice Committee.
- Chair SEED Student Forum.
- Member SEED School Policy Resource Committee.
- Member SEED SLT committee.
- Executive Member of Teach First Provider Group.
- Senior Academic Adviser and Chair of annual Examination Board Moscow School of Economic and Social Sciences
- Chair Education Leadership in Practice (UMW) Steering Group
- Fellow Australian College of Researchers
- Adjunct Professor - Southern Cross University, Australia
Previously Head of Initial Teacher Education;
Executive Director of Teach First NW;
Chair of NW4 ITT network and member of DfE National ITTAG;
Previously Deputy Director of ITE, Programme Director – Secondary PGCE;
Outstanding Contribution to D&TA Award (2013);
Member of DRS/ Cumulus/ Design-Ed International Scientific Review Committee and Review Board;
Reviewer for extensive list of high ranking international journals;
Extensive list of National and International invited research keynotes (e.g. Australia, Norway, Singapore, Dubai);
Recent external examining responsibilities include: KTH (Sweden) PhD Opponent; Southern Cross University (Australia) PhD; Kings College University (Masters), Bristol University (Masters), Exeter University (PGCE); Cambridge University (MPhil, Masters); Glasgow University (PGDE), Waikato University (NZ) Masters;
Co-editor DATA international research conference proceedings 2004 - 2010;
Previously Ofsted Additional Inspector (ITE);
Author of extensive list of evaluations, research reports, editorials, books and book chapters, ‘Thinkpieces’, academic papers, etc;
Research presented UK (BERA), Australia (TERC), China, India (epiSTEME), Israel, NZ (PATT),USA (AERA), Canada (T&LC), Hong Kong, Finland (ECER);
Previous media work includes BBC radio and television, Teachers TV, writing for the Times Educational Supplement and School Week.