Aristea's research focuses on the empirical study of law and on applied legal and policy analysis, with particular reference to labour regulation, corporate governance and EU social policy. Her research has been theoretically driven by an interest in the application of social systems theory and the capability approach to the study of supranational regulation and its relationship with national legal and economic systems. Her work so far has included empirical socio-legal research in employee representation, contractual governance in large construction projects, the impact of the case law by the Court of Justice of the European Union on industrial action, collective agreements and procurement, the effects of the financial crisis on national systems of labour law and social security, the interplay between EU law and precarious work and the business benefits of social dialogue, including for global supply chains.
Her research has been funded by a number of organisations, including the Economic and Social Research Council, the European Commission, the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, the Leverhulme Trust and the Global Players' Union (FifPro). She has carried out contract work for the European Parliament, the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC) and the International Labour Organisation (ILO). She has provided expert evidence on labour law and industrial relations issues to the Social Affairs Committees of the European Parliament and the Council of Europe.
Her current projects include the following:
- Alliance MBS Strategic research investment fund (SRIF): The State as a Socially Responsible Customer (with Damian Grimshaw) (2017-2018)
- FifPro: Global Survey of Female Football Players (with Geoff Pearson) (2017)
Recently completed projects include the following:
- European Parliament: Temporary Contracts, Precarious Employment, Employees' Fundamental Rights and EU Employment Law (with Ioannis Katsaroumpas) (2017)
- International Labour Organisation: Social Dialogue as a Productive Factor (with Damian Grimshaw and Isabel Tavora) (2017)
- FifPro Global Survey of Men Football Players (with Geoff Pearson) (2016)
- International Labour Organisation: Evaluating the Effects of the Structural Labour Market Reforms on Collective Bargaining in Greece (with Damian Grimshaw) (2016)
- International Labour Organisation: Closing the Gender Pay Gap (with Jill Rubery) (2015-2016)
- European Commission: Fighting Precarious Work in the New EU Member States and Greece (with Aurora Trif and Marta Kahancova) (2015-2016)