I am Professor of Health Sciences Research and Research Director in the Division of Dentistry, University of Manchester.
I have worked within the field of evidence based practice since 1993 and have experience of a broad range of systematic reviews, utilising a range of methodologies. I have led on a series of reviews funded by CDC (US) to inform US public health policy and developed evidence-based guidelines around mouth care for children with cancer. I have also undertaken HTA and MRC funded methodological projects exploring indirect comparisons of competing interventions.
Other research focused roles include:
- Co-lead the North West Evidence Synthesis Network, a joint initiative between UoM and NICE. This Network aims to bring together health researchers, guidelines developers and policy makers from across Greater Manchester and the north west with an interest in evidence reviews.
- Editor with the Cochrane Oral Health Group (since 2000)
- President of the Evidence Based Dentistry Network, International Association for Dental Research (elected 2016)
- Member of the University of Manchester's Ethics Committee
- Specialty lead for Oral Health and Dentistry, NIHR Clinical Research Network: Greater Manchester (appointed 2015)
- Specialist Advisor with the Greater Manchester Research Design Service