Within the Univeresity I work as a Senior Lecturer in Clinical Psychology at the School of Psychological Sciences. As Deputy Research Director and Research Methods Module Organiser I support the academic components of the Clinical Psychology Doctorate Programme. This role involves a) contributing to postgraduate teaching (Clin Psy D), particularly in relation to research methods, acting as academic advisor to trainees, attending a range of committees, marking case reports and acting as internal examiner. In addition, I regulalry supervise Clin Psy D and Masters research projects. My research interests broadly centre around perinatal clinical psychology, including psychological and parenting interventions to improve maternal distress, enhance the mother-infant-relationship and bond and modify family risk factors. I am a co-applicant on the NIHR PHR funded research project THRIVE (2013-2018), which compares Enhanced Baby Triple P and Mellow Bumps against Treatment as Usual. I am also leading on the UK International Parenting Survey.
My research interests are closely alligned to my work as a Clinical Psychologist on an inpatient psychiatric Mother and Baby Unit (Andersen Ward) at Laureate House in Wythenshawe Hospital, South Manchester.
I have been a committee member for the Division of Clinical Psychology (DCP): Faculty of Perinatal Psychology since its inception and am now also the Co-Chair of the DCP Conference Organsing Committee.
2001 Clinical Psychology Doctorate, The University of Manchester
2000 Master in Philosophy, Clinical Psychology, The University of Manchester
1996 Bachelor of Science, The University of Manchester, First Class Honours Degree
Memberships of committees and professional bodies
- Registered Clinical Psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council
- Clinical Psychologist and Member for the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Member of the BPS Division of Clinical Psychology (DCP) including the Faculty of Perinatal Psychology
- Member of the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)
- Member of the World Association of Infant Mental Health (WAIMH)
- Member of the Triple P Positive Parenting Programme Network including the Research Network
- Accredited in Standard Triple P, trained in Enhanced Triple P and Baby Triple P
- Member of the Society of Reproductive and Infant Psychology (SRIP)
- Member of the International Association for the Study of Attachment (IASA)
I am also a member of the Clinical and Health Research Group and the Parenting and Families Research Group within the School of Psychological Sciences and I am affiliated with the Centre for New Treatment and Understanding in Mental Health (CeNTrUM), within the Institute of Brain, Behaviour and Mental Health.