Keywords: Consumption, cultural sociology, economic sociology, food and eating, social networks, social and cultural capital, social stratification, sustainable consumption.
Current substantive work is concerned with:
• the sociology of eating, particularly change in habits in Britain, France and the USA, and the practice of dining out;
• the sociology of consumption, especially the changing patterns of cultural consumption in the UK and the nature of consumer culture in Europe;
• cultural capital, distinction and cultural practice in comparative perspective;
• social class analysis;
• the analysis of social change
• the development of British Sociology.