The Kenyon Institute based in Shaykh Jarrah has a long history. Established during the British occupation of Jerusalem in 1919, it was an exemplar of the marriage of academia and empire. In its early days, as the British School of Archaeology in Jerusalem, it was biblical, British, and very imperial, but this outlook and reputation changed over time. This essay by a former director (January 2012–December 2019) provides a brief history of the institute, and discusses the recent changes in its character and relationship with the local community. The author also reflects on some personal experiences and thoughts about her time living and working in East Jerusalem.