Age-related pattern of KI and WU polyomavirus infectionCitation formats

  • Authors:
  • B. Abedi Kiasari
  • P. J. Vallely
  • C. E. Corless
  • M. Al-Hammadi
  • P. E. Klapper

Standard

Age-related pattern of KI and WU polyomavirus infection. / Abedi Kiasari, B.; Vallely, P. J.; Corless, C. E.; Al-Hammadi, M.; Klapper, P. E.

In: Journal of Clinical Virology, Vol. 43, No. 1, 09.2008, p. 123-125.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Harvard

Abedi Kiasari, B, Vallely, PJ, Corless, CE, Al-Hammadi, M & Klapper, PE 2008, 'Age-related pattern of KI and WU polyomavirus infection', Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 123-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcv.2008.05.003

APA

Abedi Kiasari, B., Vallely, P. J., Corless, C. E., Al-Hammadi, M., & Klapper, P. E. (2008). Age-related pattern of KI and WU polyomavirus infection. Journal of Clinical Virology, 43(1), 123-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcv.2008.05.003

Vancouver

Abedi Kiasari B, Vallely PJ, Corless CE, Al-Hammadi M, Klapper PE. Age-related pattern of KI and WU polyomavirus infection. Journal of Clinical Virology. 2008 Sep;43(1):123-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcv.2008.05.003

Author

Abedi Kiasari, B. ; Vallely, P. J. ; Corless, C. E. ; Al-Hammadi, M. ; Klapper, P. E. / Age-related pattern of KI and WU polyomavirus infection. In: Journal of Clinical Virology. 2008 ; Vol. 43, No. 1. pp. 123-125.

Bibtex

@article{d7022884c0db4760a8712d4257be4db2,
title = "Age-related pattern of KI and WU polyomavirus infection",
abstract = "Background: The role of two recently identified polyomaviruses, KI and WU, in the causation of respiratory disease has not been established. Objectives: To determine the prevalence of KI and WU viruses (KIV and WUV) in 371 respiratory samples and evaluate their contribution to respiratory disease. Study Design: Specimens were screened for KIV and WUV using single, multiplex or real time PCR; co-infection with other respiratory viruses was evaluated. Results: Of the 371 samples analysed, 10 (2.70%) were positive for KIV and 4 (1.08%) were positive for WUV yielding an overall case prevalence of KIV and WUV infection of 3.77%. KIV and WUV were identified in patients aged 45 years (3 patients) with upper respiratory tract infection. Co-infections were found in 5 (50%) and 3 (75%) of the KIV and WUV positive samples, respectively. Conclusions: This study supports previous conclusions that KIV and WUV detection in the respiratory tract may be coincidental and reflect reactivation of latent or persistent infection with these viruses. The age distribution of KIV and WUV infection in this study mirrors that found for the other human polyomaviruses, BK and JC. {\textcopyright} 2008 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.",
keywords = "Co-infection, Human polyomavirus, KI, PCR, Respiratory infection, WU",
author = "{Abedi Kiasari}, B. and Vallely, {P. J.} and Corless, {C. E.} and M. Al-Hammadi and Klapper, {P. E.}",
year = "2008",
month = sep,
doi = "10.1016/j.jcv.2008.05.003",
language = "English",
volume = "43",
pages = "123--125",
journal = "Journal of Clinical Virology",
issn = "1386-6532",
publisher = "Elsevier BV",
number = "1",

}

RIS

TY - JOUR

T1 - Age-related pattern of KI and WU polyomavirus infection

AU - Abedi Kiasari, B.

AU - Vallely, P. J.

AU - Corless, C. E.

AU - Al-Hammadi, M.

AU - Klapper, P. E.

PY - 2008/9

Y1 - 2008/9

N2 - Background: The role of two recently identified polyomaviruses, KI and WU, in the causation of respiratory disease has not been established. Objectives: To determine the prevalence of KI and WU viruses (KIV and WUV) in 371 respiratory samples and evaluate their contribution to respiratory disease. Study Design: Specimens were screened for KIV and WUV using single, multiplex or real time PCR; co-infection with other respiratory viruses was evaluated. Results: Of the 371 samples analysed, 10 (2.70%) were positive for KIV and 4 (1.08%) were positive for WUV yielding an overall case prevalence of KIV and WUV infection of 3.77%. KIV and WUV were identified in patients aged 45 years (3 patients) with upper respiratory tract infection. Co-infections were found in 5 (50%) and 3 (75%) of the KIV and WUV positive samples, respectively. Conclusions: This study supports previous conclusions that KIV and WUV detection in the respiratory tract may be coincidental and reflect reactivation of latent or persistent infection with these viruses. The age distribution of KIV and WUV infection in this study mirrors that found for the other human polyomaviruses, BK and JC. © 2008 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

AB - Background: The role of two recently identified polyomaviruses, KI and WU, in the causation of respiratory disease has not been established. Objectives: To determine the prevalence of KI and WU viruses (KIV and WUV) in 371 respiratory samples and evaluate their contribution to respiratory disease. Study Design: Specimens were screened for KIV and WUV using single, multiplex or real time PCR; co-infection with other respiratory viruses was evaluated. Results: Of the 371 samples analysed, 10 (2.70%) were positive for KIV and 4 (1.08%) were positive for WUV yielding an overall case prevalence of KIV and WUV infection of 3.77%. KIV and WUV were identified in patients aged 45 years (3 patients) with upper respiratory tract infection. Co-infections were found in 5 (50%) and 3 (75%) of the KIV and WUV positive samples, respectively. Conclusions: This study supports previous conclusions that KIV and WUV detection in the respiratory tract may be coincidental and reflect reactivation of latent or persistent infection with these viruses. The age distribution of KIV and WUV infection in this study mirrors that found for the other human polyomaviruses, BK and JC. © 2008 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

KW - Co-infection

KW - Human polyomavirus

KW - KI

KW - PCR

KW - Respiratory infection

KW - WU

U2 - 10.1016/j.jcv.2008.05.003

DO - 10.1016/j.jcv.2008.05.003

M3 - Article

C2 - 18573691

VL - 43

SP - 123

EP - 125

JO - Journal of Clinical Virology

JF - Journal of Clinical Virology

SN - 1386-6532

IS - 1

ER -