Dr Elisa Pieri
Laurea (Univ. of Bologna), MSc (Univ. of Edinburgh), PhD (Univ. of Manchester)
I am a social scientist with a background of interdisciplinary research.
My current research explores pandemic preparedness and its social implications (see research section).
I have conducted a number of externally funded projects (listed in the research section) investigating controversial issues in policy, science and technology, and in discourse, media and public debates.
My doctoral research explored the process of securitisation and its impacts on urban space and on various stakeholders.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
My research interests and publications are in the areas of:
* Security, biopolitics, power and surveillance - including biometrics;
* Urban sociology, design and the built environment
* Science and Technology Studies (STS), sociology of knowledge, futures and sociology of expectation
* Governance, science and innovation (incl. public and multi-stakeholder engagement);
* Ethical, legal and social aspects of new technologies (incl. genomics - GM crops and foods, personalised medicine, psychiatric and behavioural genetics - the neurosciences, biometrics and security technologies);
* Language and power, media and discourse analysis.