Edward Lee is a Professor of Accounting and Finance at the University of Manchester. He has published over 40 research articles, including those in various leading accounting journals on the Financial Times Top 50 list such as Journal of Accounting Research (JAR), Accounting, Organization and Society (AOS), Contemporary Accounting Research (CAR), and Review of Accounting Studies (RAST).
He currently serves as a Joint Editor-in-Chief of Accounting and Business Research (ABR). He also holds editorial positions or board membership in several other academic journals, including those affiliated with the American Accounting Association (AAA), British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA), or European Accounting Association (EAA).
His academic research addresses accounting issues with important policy relevance, and his expertise and interest focuses on core areas in capital market accounting research. He also engages further with interdisciplinary research through a variety of areas ranging from corporate finance, corporate governance, to corporate social responsibility.
Selected academic publications in FT 50 accounting journals:
- Jeong-Bon Kim, Edward Lee, Xiaojian Tang, Junsheng Zhang, 2022, Collusive versus coercive corporate corruption: Evidence from demand-side shocks and supply-side disclosures. Review of Accounting Studies, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11142-022-09678-0. [ABDC A*, ABS 4, FT 50, SSCI; REF 2028]
- Jeong-Bon Kim, Edward Lee, Zhenmei Zhu, 2022, Do firm-specific stock price crashes lead to a stimulation or distortion of market information efficiency? Contemporary Accounting Research, https://doi.org/10.1111/1911-3846.12777. [ABDC A*, ABS 4, FT 50, SSCI; REF 2028]
- Edward Lee, Norman Strong, Zhenmei Zhu, 2014, Did Regulation Fair Disclosure, SOX, and other analyst regulations reduce security mispricing? Journal of Accounting Research 52 (3), 733-774. [ABDC A*, ABS 4*, FT 50, SSCI, UT-Dallas 24; REF 2021]
- Edward Lee, Martin Walker, Cheng Zeng, 2014, Do Chinese government subsidies affect firm value? Accounting, Organizations and Society 39 (3), 149-169. [ABDC A*, ABS 4*, FT 50, SSCI; REF 2021]
- Hans Christensen, Edward Lee, Martin Walker, 2009, Do IFRS reconciliations convey information? The effect of debt contracting. Journal of Accounting Research 47 (5), 1167-1199. [ABDC A*, ABS 4*, FT 50, SSCI, UT-Dallas 24; REF 2014]
(See Publications tab for other academic publications)
Academic journal editorial positions:
- Joint Editor-in-Chief, Accounting and Business Research [ABDC A, ABS 3, SSCI; Taylor & Francis]
- Editor, Journal of International Accounting Research [ABDC A, ABS 2; American Accounting Association]
- Associate Editor, Asia-Pacific Journal of Accounting and Economics [ABDC B, ABS 2, SSCI; Taylor & Francis]
- Associate Editor, British Accounting Review [ABDC A*, ABS 3, SSCI; Elsevier, British Accounting and Finance Association]
- Associate Editor, China Journal of Accounting Research [ABDC B, ABS 2; Elsevier]
- Associate Editor, European Journal of Finance [ABDC A, ABS 3, SSCI; Taylor and Francis]
- Editorial Board, European Accounting Review [ABDC A*, ABS 3, SSCI; Taylor and Francis, European Accounting Association]
- Fudan University, Dept. of Accounting, Shanghai, China
- Stockholm School of Economics, Dept. of Accounting, Stockholm, Sweden
Former doctoral students:
- Hans Christensen, Professor of Accounting, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago, USA
- Zhenmei (Judy) Zhu, Associate Professor, Dept. of Accounting, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
- Cheng (Colin) Zeng, Assistant Professor, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China
- Chu Yeong Lim, Senior Lecturer, Division of Accounting, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Jirada Petaibanlue, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Accountancy, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- Yin Zhu, former visiting researcher, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, Canada
- Jenny Cleverton, Managing Director, Financial Services Organisation (London UK, Luxembourg)
- Ersa Wahyuni, Lecturer, Dept. of Accounting, Padjadjaran University, Indonesia
- Mostafa Harakeh, Assistant Professor, Accounting and Finance Dept., University of Leeds, UK
- Yangke Liu, Lecturer in Finance, Queen's University Belfast, UK
- Steven Xianglong Chen, Lecturer in Accounting, University of Liverpool, UK
Other research highlights:
- Most read article in European Accounting Review with 30,046 views as of 26/03/2022: Hans Christensen, Edward Lee, Martin Walker, Cheng Zeng, 2015. Incentives or standards: What determines accounting quality changes around IFRS adoption? European Accounting Review 24, 31-61.
- Best manuscript award from Financial Management track of British Academy of Management in 2020: Steven X. Chen, Edward Lee, Konstantinos Stathopoulos, 2020. Does corporate social responsibility spending affect strike risk? Evidence from union elections. Working paper.
- Best manuscript award from British Accounting and Finance Association in 2015: Edward Lee, Norman Strong, Zhenmei Zhu, 2014. Did the value premium survive the subprime credit crisis? British Accounting Review 46, 166-178.
Current administrative position:
- Director of Postgraduate Research for Accounting and Finance Division, Alliance Manchester Business School, University of Manchester, UK
- PhD in Accounting and Finance, University of Manchester, UK