I am Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering, fellow of The Higher Education Academy, leader of the Civil Engineering Teaching Group, and director of the geotechnical centrifuge facility.
At Manchester University, I coordinate the undergraduate course 'Geotechnics 2: Soil Mechanics" and the postgraduate course 'Research Methods'.
I am guest editor of the journal Soils and Foundations for the Special Issue on "Offshore Wind Turbine Foundations".
My latest book, titled "Seismic Design of Foundations: Concepts and Applications", is available from the ICE Book Shop website.
I graduated with first-class honours, cum laude, in Civil Engineering from the University of Sannio (Italy). In 2008, I moved to the University of Bristol (UK) to finish my postgraduate studies, first with an MSc in Offshore Engineering and then with a PhD in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering. In 2013, I joined the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Yamaguchi University (Japan) as a researcher.
I am the author of over 20 publications focusing on different civil engineering problems, including post-liquefaction response of sloping grounds, long-term performance of offshore wind turbines, soil liquefaction. My main research interests are in infrastructure resilience geotechnics and natural disasters.
I am one of the authors of the textbook "Fundamentals of Engineering Mathematics", published by the Institution of Civil Engineers, ICE Publishing. The book aims at bridging the gap between school mathematics and a first-year engineering degree.
Currently, I supervise seven PhD candidates:
1. Mathieu Augustin. Project title: “Seismic Risk Assessment of UK Nuclear Reactors”. Funder: Next Generation Nuclear CDT, with financial support from EDF, UK.
2. Bashar Ismael. Project title: “Post-liquefaction stability of sloping grounds”. Funder: The Iraqi Ministry of Higher Education.
3. Stephen Irinyemi Ayanfe. Project title: “Development of a Probabilistic Seismic Risk Assessment Framework for Dams in West-Africa”. Funder: PRESSID, Nigeria Government.
4. Jorge Arturo Mendoza Ulloa. Project title: “Lateral Soil-Structure Interaction of piled foundations in carbonate soils”. Funder: Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología CONACyT, Mexico.
5. Salam Hemn Hassan. Project title: “Development of p-y curves for monopile foundations”. Funder: EPSRC, UK.
6. Cong Ya. Project title: "Numerical modelling of seismically-induced liquefaction using Smoothed-Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH)". Funder: Chinese government scholarships.
7. Ruofeng Feng. Project title: "Modelling internal erosion processes in porous materials using Smoothed-particle hydrodynamics (SPH)". Funder: Chinese government scholarships.
Former PhD candidates (graduated):
1. Zina Mikhael Dawood Habbi. (July 2017). “Effects of Bentonite and Polymer support Fluids on Clay-Concrete interface friction”. Funder: The Iraqi Ministry of Higher Education.
2. Juneid Bakr. (July 2018). “Displacement-based approach for seismic stability of retaining structures”. Funder: The Iraqi Ministry of Higher Education.
Recent and future events:
- November 2020 - (Invited Speaker) 5th World Landslide Forum, November 2 – 6, 2020, Kyoto, Japan.
- January 2020 - (Invited Speaker). 2nd International Symposium on Seismic Performance and Design of Slopes, The University of Edinburgh, 18-22 January, Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- July 2019 - (Speaker) Southeast Symposium of Recent Developments in Geotechnics, Southeast University, 7-9 July, Nanjing, China.
- June 2019 - 7th lnternational Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering (VII ICEGE), 17-20 June 2019, Rome, Italy.
- December 2018 - (Invited speaker) "Innovations and Implementations in Earthquake Engineering Research", 8th Kwang-Hua Forum, Tongji University, State Key Laboratory of Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Shanghai, China.
- August 2018 - (Keynote Lecturer) "Effect of the post-cyclic hardening behaviour of liquefied soil on the seismic performance of slopes", International Symposium on Seismic Performance and Design of Slopes (ISSPDS, 2018), Tongji University, Shanghai, China.
March 2017 - (Speaker) "Recent advances in soil liquefaction and seismic performance of structures", Tongji University, Shanghai, China. http://geotec.tongji.edu.cn/show.aspx?info_lb=326&flag=190&info_id=1376
February 2017 - (Speaker) "The EEFIT Reconnaissance Mission to the August – October 2016 earthquake sequence of Central Italy". Institution of Structural Engineers, London, United Kingdom.
February 2017 - (Speaker & Chair) "First International Conference on Nuclear Power Plants; Structures, Risk & Decommissioning", Croydon, United Kingdom.
February 2017 - "UK-China-India Workshop of Seismic Resilience of Nuclear Power Plants" in Guildford, United Kingdom.
June 2016 - (Speaker) - "Dynamic behaviour of pile-supported structures in liquefiable soils". Osaka City University, Osaka, Japan.
June 2016 - "Developments in Earthquake Geotechnics". Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan.
May 2016 - (Speaker): "Effects of soil-structure interaction on seismic performance of piled foundations in liquefied soils". City University of London, London, United Kingdom.
March 2016 - (Chair): "Methods and modern technologies in nearshore-offshore surveying and seafloor geotechnics" at 1st International Workshop on Metrology for Geotechnics, Benevento, Italy.
November 2015 - (Speaker & Chair): "5th International Conference on Geotechnique, Construction Materials and Environment", Osaka, Japan.