Dimitrija Kalanoski is Lecturer (Assistant Professor) of International Business and Strategy at the Alliance Manchester Business School at the University of Manchester (UK). Prior to this he was a Senior Swiss National Science Foundation scholar at the University of Lausanne – HEC (Switzerland) and a visiting scholar at Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto (Canada). Dimitrija received his Ph.D. from the University of Lausanne – HEC (Switzerland) for which he was awarded a best dissertation award from the university.
His research examines how a firm’s market and nonmarket competitive initiatives allow firms to outcompete their rivals in diverse and dynamic competitive environments. Specifically, his research interests lie at the intersection of behavioral strategy, competitive dynamics, international business, integration of market & non-market strategy, and institutional theory. His research has received numerous recognitions in the form of:
- Publications in leading journals such as Management Science, Environmental Research Letters, and Centre for Economic Policy Research.
- Regular conference presentations at leading international conferences - Academy of Management (AOM), Strategic Management Society (SMS), Academy of International Business (AIB), European Academy of Management (EURAM), British Academy of Management (BAM), among others.
- Awards : Best Dissertation Award – Prix 2018 de la faculté, HEC Lausanne – University of Lausanne; The Long-Range Planning Best Paper Prize for Advances in Strategic Management Research, BAM 2022; Finalist for the Best Paper Strategy Process Division Award, SMS 2022; Nomination for the Aalto University’s “That’s Interesting!” Award, AIB 2021; Nomination for the SMS London 2020 PhD Paper Prize; AOM 2021 IM Best Reviewer Award; AOM 2020 IM Best Reviewer Award; EURAM 2018 Annual Conference Best Paper Award.
- Invitations as expert for international seminars organized by the International Monetary Fund – IMF (USA), State Secretariat for Economic Affairs – SECO (Switzerland), Covid-19 Modelling Seminar Series – Cambridge Judge Business School jointly with NHS and Public Health England (UK).
- Media coverage from variety of international outlets – The Conversation, Financial Times, Vox EU, Le Temps, I by IMD, among others.
In addition to his academic experience, Dimitrija also has extensive for profit and non-profit industry experience in the fields of strategy, innovation, policy, interfirm competition, and international business. Additionally, he founded and managed few entrepreneurial ventures and is currently engaged in a new entrepreneurial project at the intersection of platform ecosystems and blockchain.