Daniel Ka Chun So is a Reader in the Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering at the University of Manchester, where he joined in 2003 as a lecturer. He received the PhD degree in Electrical & Electronics Engineering from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong in 2003. He obtained the BEng degree in Electrical & Electronics Engineering (First Class Honor) from the University of Auckland, New Zealand in 1996. From 1997 to 1998, he joined the Orion Systems NZ (now Orion Health) as software engineer, and was later promoted to senior software engineer.
His research interests includes green communications, 5G networks, non-orthogonal multiple access, content centric network, heterogeneous networks, content-centric network, cognitive radio, massive MIMO, D2D communications, cooperative MIMO schemes, multihop communication, channel equalization and estimation techniques.
Dr So is the Discipline Head of Education of EEE. He served as the Director of Postgraduate Taught in 2009-19, and the Course Director for MSc in Communication Engineering from 2009-2014. He is a Chartered Engineer and a member of IET, a Senior Member of IEEE, and a Fellow of Higher Education Academy.
External Professional Activities
- Editor, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (10/2017 - now)
- Editor, IEEE Wireless Communications Letters (1/2016 - now)
- Symposium Co-Chair, IEEE Globecom 2020 "Green Communications Systems & Networks"
- Symposium Co-Chair, IEEE ICC 2019 "Green Communications Systems & Networks"
- Track Co-Chair, IEEE VTC Spring 2018 "Green Communications and Networks"
- Track Co-Chair, IEEE VTC Spring 2017 "Multiple Antenna Systems and Services"
- Track Co-Chair, IEEE VTC Spring 2016 "LTE/LTE-A, 5G, and Wireless HetNets"
- College Member, EPSRC College
- Programme External Examiner for Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
- External Course Advisor for UC Lancashire
- External PhD Examiner for a number of UK (incl. Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Kings, Newcastle, Leeds, Warwick, Kent) and overseas universities (incl. Melbourne, Helsinki, City University HK, IIS)
- Regular Technical Programme Committee members of various prestigious international conferences, including ICC, Globecom, VTC, & WCNC.