Emeritus Professor of International Economic Law University of Manchester
Barrister; LL.B (Lond); LL.M (LSE, University of London); PhD (LSE, University of London)
Positions held currently:
- Tenured Professor Korea University Law School South Korea since 2012
- Barrister: Quadrant Chambers, 10 Fleet Street, London, UK.
- Advocate Sindh High Court, Pakistan (2008)
- Member of the Roster of WTO Non-Governmental Panelists eligible for Panel service, appointed by the Dispute Settlement Body of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
- Appointed as an Arbitrator to the Panel of International Arbitrators -- Korean Commercial Arbitration Board
- Appointed as an International Mediator on Panel at Korean International Mediation Centre
- Member of the International Law Committee on Rule of Law and International Investment
- Member of the International Law Study Group on International Taxation
- Member of Korean Society of International Law
- Member of Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE)
- Editor-in-Chief: Manchester Journal of International Economic Law
- Honorary Citizen Seoul, South Korea
- Member of editorial board of several International Law Journals.
Visiting Professor positions held:
- University of California, Irvine Law School, (Fall 2019)
- Sorbonne,Paris One (2017)
- Far Eastern Federal University, Russia, (2017 & 2018)
- IMF Legal Department (2016)
- University of Qatar (2012)
- University of Korea (2012)
- University of Lausanne, Law School,Switzerland (Nov 2010)
Tsinghua Law School, Tsinghua University, Beijing,China (2009 and 2010)
China-EU School of Law, Beijing, China (May 2009)
Universiti Kebangsaan, Malaysia (2008-2009)
- Visiting Professor (Honorary), University of Middlesex, UK (2007-2010)
- University of Amsterdam, Netherlands (May 2006)
- Osaka University, Japan (November 2005)
- University of Malaya, Malaysia (July 2005)
- Fudan Law School, Fudan University, Shanghai, China (2003)
- Visiting Scholar, Yale Law School, Yale University, US (1992)
Assisted and advised Pakistan and Cambodia on their Trade Remedies' Legislation. Consultant to and for various governments and international organisations on WTO law generally: South Korea (2012),Pakistan (1998, 2000, 2003), Saudi-Arabia (2001);GCC (1987); UNDP(1998); Asian Development Bank (2000); UNCTAD (2001); Commonwealth Secretariat (2001, 2002, 2003); Islamic Development Bank (1999); CTLD (2003); ICTSD (2003); and the WTO (1999, 2004); Cambodia (2005); European Commission (2009).
Lectured to government officials from developing countries variously - including, as part of a WTO team on WTO law in Tunisia and Pakistan; as part of a team organised by the University of Amsterdam, at the Ethiopian Civil Service College, Ethiopia, on international trade and investment; in Cambodia at the Ministry of Commerce as part of a project funded by the European Union; in Pakistan at the Ministry of Commerce as part of a UNDP funded project; and at the WTO Centre in Shanghai, China. In addition, he has given guest/key note lectures in various universities and organisations - including in Poland, Korea, France, China, USA, Pakistan, Indonesia; Germany; Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan and the UK.
Teaching whilst at Manchester:
International Economic Law (particularly WTO Law) , Public International Law and International Fiscal Law
He has supervised several research candidates - especially in the field of International Economic Law.
Member of Professional Organisations:
Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn; Sindh High Court Bar Association; International Law Association, International Fiscal Association.
Administrative Positions held at University of Manchester:
He was formerly Director of External Relations in the Law School. Previously he has been Director of Postgraduate Studies and Director of Accounting and Law in the Law School.
Resided in: China, Tunisia, Saudi-Arabia, Pakistan and South Korea.
Media experience: UK, South Korea and Pakistan. Can be contacted by email.