OverviewContact details:Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: +44(0)161-306-8652Postal address: 1.57 Rm | Humanities Bridgeford Street Building |The University of Manchester |Oxford Road | Manchester, M13 9PL |
Latest articles in academic journals and media:
- The Conversation. Nov 2, 2020. "House building targets in England must avoid creating a north-south divide"
- The Conversation. Oct 8, 2020. "Widening access to shared ownership is not enough to solve England’s housing crisis"
- The Conversation. Nov 25, 2020. "Spending Review 2020: the experts react"
- "Asymmetric Patterns of Demand-Supply Mismatch in Real Estate". Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics (2020) Marcato, G. & Nanda, A.
- "Forced Homeward: The Covid-19 Implications for Housing". Town Planning Review (2020) Nanda, A., Thanos, S., Valtonen, E., Xu, Y., Zandieh, R.
- "Imagining a Post-Covid-19 World of Real Estate". Town Planning Review (2020). Carson, S., Nanda, A., Thanos, S., Valtonen, E., Xu, Y.
- Multi-dimensional Impacts of Infrastructure (ESRC IAA project, Principal Investigator)
- Harold Samuel Research Prize, 2020 - "Developing an Integration Framework for Proptech Education"
- Changing Housing Preferences and Use of Home due to the Covid-19 Pandemic
- Benchmarking Real Estate Investment Performance: The Role of ESG Factors
- Technology, Urbanisation & Inequality
- Foreign Investor Demand for Housing
- Commercial Real Estate Prices, Investor Sentiment & Liquidity
- Covid-19 Pandemic & Retail Real Estate
Anupam Nanda is Professor of Urban Economics & Real Estate (Full Professor/Chair in Real Estate) and Deputy Head of Department (Planning & Environmental Management) in the School of Environment, Education & Development, the University of Manchester, UK. He is a member of the Manchester Urban Institute (MUI) and Spatial Policy & Analysis Laboratory. He is also a member of the Board of the European Real Estate Society.
Anupam's research themes/sub-themes are: economics of property markets; urban & regional economies; real estate finance, investor sentiment & behaviour, cross-border investment; house price dynamics; impact of infrastructure projects, policy evaluation; Environment, Social & Governance (ESG) issues in property markets; role of technology in property market & urban environment.
Anupam's current teaching units are: Advanced Real Estate Finance (MSc); Project-based Enquiry (MSc); Dissertations (MSc).
Anupam holds UG, PG and PhD degrees in Economics, and he has almost fifteen years experience as a researcher, educator and consultant. Prior to joining Manchester, he was at the University of Reading (2010-19), and worked in non-academic roles at Deloitte & Touche and the National Association of Home Builders (US).
His academic papers have been published in several top international journals e.g. Journal of Urban Economics, Energy Economics, Real Estate Economics, Regional Studies, Energy Policy, Town Planning Review, Applied Linguistics, Review of International Economics, Journal of Portfolio Management, World Economy, Journal of Real Estate Research, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics etc.
His works have been sponsored by both UK and international public and private funding bodies and companies e.g. UKRI/Innovate UK, Real Estate Research Institute (RERI) in USA, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, UK Dept of Energy and Climate Change, Investment Property Forum (IPF), The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Anupam has undertaken research projects or supervised doctoral works related to several countries - United States, United Kingdom, India, Greece and other EU countries, Panama, Cyprus, UAE (Dubai), Malaysia, China.
Professor of Urban Economics & Real Estate (Chair in Real Estate), University of Manchester, UK (Nov 2019 -)
Professor of Urban Economics & Real Estate, Henley Business School/University of Reading, UK (Aug 2017 -Oct 2019) - Research Division Lead, Real Estate & Planning; Director, MSc Real Estate Finance (fulltime).
Associate Professor in Real Estate Economics, Henley Business School/University of Reading, UK (Oct 2013-Jul 2017) - Director, MSc Real Estate (flexible/blended learning).
Lecturer, Henley Business School/University of Reading, UK (Jan 2010 - Sep 2013)
Deloitte Intelligence, Deloitte & Touche, Mumbai, India (Apr 2008 - Nov 2009)
Senior Research Economist, National Association of Home Builders, Washington DC, USA (Apr 2006 - Apr 2008)
PhD in Economics, University of Connecticut, USA, 2006. MSc in Economics, University of Calcutta, India; BSc (Hons) in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, St Xavier's College, Kolkata, India.
FRSA - Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. (The Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce)
FRGS - Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society. (The Royal Geographical Society with the Institute of British Geographers)
FHEA - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
Other Professional Membership:
Royal Economic Society;
American Economic Association;
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association;
Urban Economics Association;
Current and recent PhD and postdoctoral team members:
Current PhD candidates:
- Sarah Coleman (2020-23, ESRC funded), Topic: "Benefits Governance in Major Government Projects" (first supervisor/University of Manchester)
- Rong Wang (2020-23), Topic: "Cross-Border Real Estate Investment Preferences" (first supervisor/University of Manchester)
- Buker Audeh (2020-23), Topic: "Exchange Rate and Real Estate Returns" (external supervisor/University of Reading)
Dr Olayiwola O. Oladiran (PhD completed in 2020) "Essays on Migration and Housing" (first supervisor/University of Reading) employed at Leeds Beckett University
Dr Fangchen Zhang (PhD completed in 2020) "Implications of Investors’ Heterogeneity for the Commercial Real Estate Market - An Analysis of the UK Market" (co-supervisor/University of Reading) employed at Northumbria University
Dr Steffen Heinig (PhD completed in 2019) "Essays on Sentiment: An Analysis of the Commercial Real Estate Market" (first supervisor/University of Reading) employed at Liverpool John Moores University
Dr Shuai Shi (PhD completed in 2018) "The Convergence of Geo-Space and Network Space in City Region Development in China: taking the Mid-Yangtze River City Region as an example"; (co-supervisor/University of Reading). employed at University of Hong Kong
Dr Linning Zhu (PhD completed in 2016) "House Price Dynamics in Contemporary Urban China"; (co-supervisor/University of Reading)
Dr Dimitra Kavarnou (PhD completed in 2015) “The Housing Markets of the Greek Islands”; (first supervisor, University of Reading) employed at Homes England
Dr Jia-Huey Yeh (PhD completed in 2015) “Regional House Price Dynamics in Taiwan”; (first supervisor/University of Reading) employed at Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics