I am a Reader in Musculoskeletal Epidemiology in the Arthritis Research UK Centre for Epidemiology, Centre for Musculoskeletal Research, School of Biological Sciences.
I am an Epidemiologist with a main research interest in the longterm outcomes such as worker productivity loss, functional disability and co-morbidities and its predictors in patients with adult and juvenile onset inflammatory arthritis.
I am the Director of Social Responsibility in the School of Biological Sciences.
I am the organizer of the in-house Centre for Musculoskeletal Research Basic Epidemiology, Genetic Epidemiology and Biostatistics course.
I completed my Masters degree in Human Movement Sciences, main topic Health Sciences, Free University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I was awarded my PhD by the University of Utrecht, the Netherlands, and worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Utrecht Medical Center investigating clinical and economic outcomes in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
I joined the Arthritis Research Centre for Epidemiology in 2007 and I am currently the principal investigator of the national Rheumatoid Arthritis Medication Study (RAMS) investigating response, adherence and adverse events to methotrexate therapy in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. I am also the principal investigator of an international study investigating at-work productivity loss (i.e. presenteeism) and absenteeism in patients with inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis. I am further a Co-Investigator of the Arthritis Research UK/MRC Centre for Musculoskeletal Health and Work investigating valuing of presenteeism in inflammatory arthritis.
Memberships of committees and professional bodies
- Chair Outcome Measures in Rheumatology (OMERACT) Worker Productivity group
- Lead European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) Task Force 'EULAR Points to consider for lifestyle behaviour to prevent progression of Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases'.
- Lead EULAR study group Public Health in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Disorders.
- Member EULAR points to consider when designing, analyzing and reporting studies with work as outcome among patients with inflammatory arthritis.
- Member Fit for Work UK Coalition
- Member Dutch Society for Epidemiology
- Member British Society for Rheumatology (BSR)