Having had a successful career as a secondary school teacher (for 13 years) in a wide range of schools, prior to entering Higher Education I was a Gatsby Fellow, head of department and a member of senior management with responsibility for whole school issues including monitoring, assessment and recording.
Since moving into Higher Education I have held numerous academic and leadership roles and I am currently Professor of Education with specific responsibility as the Associate Dean for leading the development of the Faculty of Humanities portfolio as part of the ‘Size and Shape’ project. In addition I am the Senior Collaborative Adviser for the Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences. I also hold executive responsibility for the University of Manchester Teach First provision, and I am Adjunct Professor at Southern Cross University (Australia).
Since 2000 my scholarship and research has involved policy, practice and publications in a variety of areas including Teaching and Learning, Teacher Education, Emotion, Assessment, Technology Education and Creative and Design Education. Currently I am a member of three editorial boards and in 2013 I received an 'Outstanding Contribution award' from the D&TA for my work related to Teacher Education.
• Currently chair and a member of numerous University and Faculty committees.
• Previously (SEED) Director of Teaching and Learning.
• Previously Head of Initial Teacher Education, Deputy Director of ITE, Programme Director – Secondary PGCE, Executive Director of Teach First NW.
• Previously Chair of NW4 ITT network and member of DfE National ITTAG;
• Outstanding Contribution to D&TA Award (2013).
• Member of DRS/ Cumulus/ Design-Ed International Scientific Review Committee and Review Board;
• Reviewer for extensive list of high ranking international journals.
• Extensive list of National and International invited research keynotes (e.g. Australia, Norway, Singapore, Dubai, Moscow). Fellow Australian College of Researchers.
• Recent external examining responsibilities include: KTH (Sweden) PhD Opponent; Southern Cross University (Australia) PhD; Kings College University (Masters), Bristol University (Masters), Exeter University (PGCE); Cambridge University (MPhil, Masters); Glasgow University (PGDE), Waikato University (NZ) Masters;
• Co-editor DATA international research conference proceedings 2004 - 2010;
• Previously Ofsted Additional Inspector (ITE);
• Author of extensive list of evaluations, research reports, editorials, books and book chapters, ‘Think-pieces’, academic papers, etc;
• Research presented UK (BERA), Australia (TERC), China, India (epiSTEME), Israel, NZ (PATT),USA (AERA), Canada (T&LC), Hong Kong, Finland (ECER);
• Previous media work includes BBC radio and television, Teachers TV, writing for the Times Educational Supplement, School Week and WonkHE.